channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Friday, November 11, 2005

Me Against The World

I actually hate to write about this subject. But since it still angers me, I need to pour it out into writing with the hope by the time I finish writing this, I will whatsoever feel better.

Now I know why people tend to avoid school reunions.

Firstly, it's nothing but showing off sessions where everybody wears their best outfit so at least your former classmates won't take you as a failure. Secondly, it's nothing but propaganda sessions in which people would preach, either by intimidatingly asking or vigorously making a long speech that everybody should lead such a predictable way of life: settling down by getting married and having kids.

Surrounded by girls who were holding a baby or two, and boys with girls who were wearing their rings, I happened to get stuck in a sort of reunion with my old classmates:

"So when are you catching up with the rest of us?" (Meaning: "When are you gonna get married?" was the kind of question I had seen it coming)

"I'm ... not sure if... but hey, I'm going to Turkey and Egypt next year. On company's expense!" I replied in an excited tone.

"Honey, that's great but your biological clock is ticking!"

I thought the kind of conversation I would only read in some typical chick-lit novels.

"I'm going to Turkey and Egypt! Isn't that a dream come true?" (Besides, the only Biology I know, I mean the subject, had stopped a long time ago)

"Don't you want to have someone who will take care of you like us, or maybe have a baby or two before your body won't allow you anymore?"

"This is Turkey and Egypt I'm talking about and I'm going there to write exclusively for my travel column,"

They all looked at me in puzzlement. Even the boys who I had expected more to not bring up such impolite questions didn't say anything to save me from being the prey of the girls having so-called perfect lives.

Thirdly, if may I add, nobody should bother to attend a school reunion at all, unless you come with extra baggage in the form of preferably a husband and kid(s). How boring!

5 Comments:

At 2:38 AM, Blogger Lorena said...

you are hilarious!! :)

here, i'll be the girl that should have said something in this moment...
"!Turkey and Egypt! and for your own column, that is great, congratulations, it's a great accomplishment!"
*turning to the other girls* "as for me, i don't intend to "play catch-up," i'm just going to live life to the fullest and see where it takes me!!!

some people.... :)

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Eko Widyasmoro said...

( a little bit out of topic)

i'm writing to tell you that i enjoy your piece on 'Soto Kadipiro" immensely. that's actually the first time i read your work on paper. i'm looking forward to read some more.

i used to live near Kadipiro and my mom simply refused to leave jogja before she had a bowl or two.

turkey and egypt do sound exciting! have a great trip.

ps: there's a nice soto place in sokaraja, called soto kecik, it's about 6 kms to the east of purwokerto. it's heavenly.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

How I wish you were one of the girls I met at the reunion. There should be more people like you in this sickening world. Thank you so much, Lo!

Ah yes, soto kadipiro is a heaven in a bowl, indeed. I can totally understand your mother's craving. Oh I'm drooling here myself just thinking about the "suedep dep dep" hot soup and the juicy, tender chicken. I don't even mind the beansprouts which I'd normally resent.

If I ever make a culinary trip to Purwokerto, would you kindly be my guide? Soto Kecik, here I come!

Keep on reading Wisata Boga every Friday, it's Jogja-Semarang edition for the whole month.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger holiday_sendiri said...

also a bit out of topic. but ALL your adik kelas are envying your life your job and, believe me, your carefree love-life in various degrees! they even asked me to ask you what it took you to have the life the job and the love-life that you've got.
Egypt and Turkey. for free. OMG.

 
At 6:54 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

holiday_sendiri, you don't know how much your words have reminded me to count every blessing.

I'm truly blessed to have a friend like you who keeps reminding me that at least I'm far luckier than those Chinese women with extremely little feet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT