channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Guardian Angels Do Exist

I think they do. At least to me. Here's why.

Last night I went shopping for a white bag at Galeria's Taman Anggrek. (My mood is no longer pink lately, but has turned to white, so I have to stock up my wardrobe with more white stuff!) When I laid eyes on a big, white bag - just exactly what I wanted - as if conducted by the unknown power of shoppers' universe, my hand automatically searched for its price tag. But damn it! It wasn't there! Things just have a way of never being found when you're really looking for them, right? So I asked a plain-Jane shop assistant standing with shop-assistant's-typical-blank stare between bag shelves, if she could tell me how much the object of my affection was. She tried to find to the same model in different color, but to no avail. I urged her if she could check out for the price someplace else, for I wanted the bag really bad. She suggested me to go for the same model in different color which I strongly said "no". Furious of not getting any solution, I went to look around for another white bag. When I came back to the first place that I was, she called out to me. I followed her where she then opened a cupboard nearby, pulled out a pile of what looked like receipts, and she told me the bag cost Rp 400.000 but it's 50% off. I asked where she knew it, while previously she seemed so hopeless of not knowing how or where to ever find out the bag's price. She said it's all written on the pink carboned sheets she waved at me. Since I was in euphoric state of a new relationship with my white bag, I quickly said "yes" to her for the bag. When she disappeared to God-knows where to make me an invoice, some voice within told me to go to the same shelf where I first got my beloved white bag. I did what I was told. My eyes spotted a price tag of the bag from the same brand but in smaller size. It was written only Rp 165.000. OK, so the bag I had chosen was like 30% bigger than the one having Rp 165.000 price tag, then it would only be logical if the price was also 30% more expensive. Then I tried to find again an exact same model in different color in that shelf, and voila, I found one in black with a price tag on it. It's written Rp 250.000. Fuck! That asshole shop assistant tried to fool me! Being suspicious, I went to find her to ask if she really gave me the right price by showing her the twin black bag. She said the white bag was indeed more expensive than the black one. She expected me to believe that bullshit? Of course. But then I, in my bitch mode, told her that even if it's more expensive, it couldn't be that far different, especially if they had the same code: 7224 (for the black and the white), so the price couldn't be different. I forced her to show me the paper indicating the bag was really worth Rp 400.000. She looked intimidatingly uneasy then told me if I wanted to go for the same price with the black one, she could do something for me. With boiling blood rushing to my head, I snapped at her: "I don't fucking care about the price and I would pay as it is, as long as there is a proof of the exact price! But if you're playing with a customer like this, I'm the one who can do something for you, which is reporting your evil game to the store manager!" Then she quickly tore the price tag off the black bag and put it on my white bag. Screw her, but I could get away with my heart's desire white bag with only Rp 125.000 after being discounted 50%.

On the way back from that malevolent mall, I was stopped by a policeman, for I took the wrong lane. It was a lane to turn right, while I wanted to go straight. (I wasn't familiar with the road that I did that stupid mistake) Anyways, when a police signed me to pull over with his light sabre, again that little voice told me to stay calm. To be frank, I could never be calm when it comes to being stopped by police! They get me panicky big time! When I rolled down my car's window, he saluted me with his fake smile then told me what I did wrong. I quickly admitted my mistake then said my apology while handing him the license and car's document he asked. When he saw the company I work for on the document, without much further ado he then gave back everything I had handed him. (People working in my company telling themselves are journalists being hurry to cover some news to get away from police - and it always works miracles, I don't know why!) He said: "I watch you a lot on TV. Just go now!" Hurray!!! And it lasted less than 5 minutes before he let me get away with the biggest grin on my face. I didn't even give a damn who he was mistaken me for when he said he saw me a lot on TV.

It wasn't a bad day yesterday. And I guess I do have guardian angels watching over me on both shoulders. It can also be my dead dog, Sweepie. I read in a book a long time ago that dogs, when they die, they will still look after their previous masters.

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger Eko Widyasmoro said...

considering your affinity to troubles, it must have been a tough job being your guardian angels..:D

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

indeed!:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT