channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Sick Feeling After Watching "Closer"

The minute I switched off my DVD player after the end credit of Closer, I got the same exact feeling when I stepped out of a cinema after watching Manchurian Candidate. It was the familiar I-hate-the-world-it-makes-me-sick kind of feeling! The movie indeed made me sick of relationships, though I never consider myself as a relationship person! Fuck, I'm not going in there again!, that's what I said to myself, as taking out the disc of the player.

In short, Closer is the story of two couples and the hurtful actions they take and the emotional rollercoaster they go through in the name of love. It shows stages of most relationships: the encounter, the love, the deception, and finally the separation. Love looks cheap in this movie, like how easy it is for Dan (Jude Law) to say the so-called sacred 3 little words as if it's just a game of self-justification for him. (Perhaps it's no epiphany that most people's motives in any relationship are selfish!) "Lying is the currency of the world" True. That's why cheating on each other is pretty much justified, if one wants to be a part of world trade.

The only good thing happens in this movie is Blower's Daughter soothingly sung by Damien Rice in the beginning and the end of it!

To wrap up, I don't recommend Closer for those who don't want to feel any worse about relationships, or the world at a greater point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT