channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

You're Not Pretty

I've been keeping an eye on a new guy from the 4th floor, who I met for the first time on a bus months ago and we have only been on hi-hello-how-are-you-fine-thank-you stage whenever we bump into each other in the elevator or wherever around the office building. His shy smile captured me right away. And he wears glasses, by the way! (grins widely)

While having an early evening meal last night with my colleague, who told me earlier that guy was his junior back in school days, he and I had this conversation:

I : So what do you know about him? (in schoolgirl mode)
He : You're too old for him!
I : Why?
He : He's only like (silently counts) ... 23!
I : So?
He : But besides you have no chance. He's already had a girlfriend.
I : How do you know?
He : I've seen him bringing her to the office.
I : But he might have broken up with her by now. You never know! And you don't even know him that well, do you?
He : I don't think he would ever let her go. She's damn pretty! You know this girl in Dewa's music video ... blah ... blah... blah... (he then describes how pretty his girlfriend is, that she looks like a famous model starring in one of the top notch rock bands in the country)
I : OK. She's that pretty alright. So?
He : You're not even close pretty compared to her. So even if he has broken up with her, I don't think he would ever look at you!
I : I have more than just looks! (in super confident mode)
He : Yea right, guys won't consider looks when they first lay eyes on girls! (in sarcatic mode)
I : Excuse me, but I've been dating gorgeous guys before with my not-so-pretty looks! (raises voice one octave higher)

For fuck's sake! I'm so over THAT phase - THAT I'm-not-pretty phase! THAT biggest growing-up pain in every girl's life!

1 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

Marriage? Aaarrrrgggghhhh!!! I don't look that far. I'll die happily if I could meet someone who can appreciate lingerie and holding hands. Let alone finishing my end of sentences in his head. But so far love has always turned its back on me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT