channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Schoolphobic

A colleague with a teenage child confirmed me with her stories how expensive education can be. She wanted to send her kid to the Catholic girls school I used to go, but she couldn't afford it. Here's what she had to hear from the principal, who happens to be a nun. A nun, according to my naive understanding, is somebody who has mastered Christian teachings which are based on compassion to one another. But listening to what my colleague told me has ruined that understanding.

In a new parents meeting...

The nun:
I don't want to receive any parents in my office this week, because I know they would only beg reduction for entrance fees. Parents, if you don't have enough money to send your children here, well, you'd better take your money and come back here next year when you've had the exact amount you have to pay. And so you know, our school is a non-profit institution. However, there won't be any students whose montly fee is less than Rp 500.000 or entrance fee less than Rp 10 millions. Is that clearly understood?

I'm at an all-time ashamed of being one of its graduates. I'm also at an all-time ashamed of ever being born Catholic. Her stories only confirm my lost faith in both formal education and religion. I learned better about compassion from my dogs. And that definitely doesn't take an expensive school!

2 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger marianne said...

The news came to me about a year ago, and it still baffles me.
Isn't it sad, Chik?
Our beloved school gone bonkers. Or is it the principal?

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

I'm definitely not gonna send my girls to that school. I will just educate them myself - you know, like those upper crust girls in Enid Blyton books? Not only they will be good at sucking cocks but also breaking hearts... in a cold blooded way!:D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT