channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Monday, June 06, 2005

Are You Lost

From an epilog scene of The Sheltering Sky...

Someone at a cafe:
Are you lost?

Kit:
Yes!

Narrator:
Because we don't know when we will die. We get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens only a certain number of times. And a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood? Some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't be without it? Perhaps 4 or 5 times more. Perhaps not even that. How many more times will you watch a full moon rise? Perhaps 20. And yet it all seems limitless.

That's true. How many more times will I have the faith in days of romance not yet over when drowning in Karen Carpenter's warm, nakedly emotional voice singing I Won't Last A Day Without You? How many more times will I have to hit the 'delete' button on my computer to erase whatever pictures taken with those taking master in my life for a little while, only realizing they will never get completely erased from my heart? How many more times will I have to scroll down and up the phonebook in my cell phone just to find someone I can spend a sultry evening with without any strings, only later it will leave me totally empty? How many more times will I have to be the Heatcliff of Wuthering Heights? Perhaps 4 or 5 times more. Or perhaps even 20.

And here's from the opening scene ...

Kit:
Are you a tourist or a traveler?

Turner:
What's the difference?

Kit:
A tourist wants comfort of home. A traveler seeks adventures.

Speaking of adventure, I finally found the time to watch Hitch yesterday. I couldn't help but lose a track of breath when Sara character shouts: "Don't worry, you'll find a man with a nice smile and you'll both travel the world for adventures!"

It left me pondering if most girls really do seek a nice smile and the spirit of adventure in a man. I thought they all went for kind ones. (Q: What made you fall for him? A: Because he's kind!) Yeah, go ahead frown, cause I don't understand either what they mean by "kind", for the word has like more than a dozen meanings. Let alone a set of thesaurus for it.

Wow! I didn't know I was so mainstream all along!

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Blogger Lorena said...

what a thought-provoking post!!
that such things like seeing a full moon might only happen maybe 20 times even though we think we'll have another day in our life to experience it...it really makes you think. almost encourages me to get my butt up and make things happen, take a chance.

tourist vs. traveler..interesting. i seek adventure but i'm glad i have a home to return to afterwards.

great post!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

Thank you, Lorena.

So little time, so many things to do, that is. Like they say technology is created to save us a lot of time, but with the time successfully saved, do we really savor the sight of withered, falling leaves from the car window while driving? I always thought I would be happier if I had more money, or at least a cheap, China-made vibrator. Let alone an eloquent lover who makes mixed CDs or handwrites cards. Little did I know I could actually be elated just from the sight of smoke coming out of my hot coffee cup in a rainy afternoon. And yet, that doesn't happen very often, does it? cause we're too busy to think of greater bundles of joy.

Indeed, it's always nice to have a place to come home to - both in its literal and figurative meanings!:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT