channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Monday, June 13, 2005

Carpenters Wedding

If I were a wedding planner for a couple happen to be Carpenters aficionado, here's what I would do. (Well okay, hypothetically my clients don't find Carpenters suitable enough to audio decorate their so-called once in a lifetime occasion, then I don't know what Josh Groban's mediocre You Raised Me Up or Shania Twain's mundane From This Moment is! I'm so gonna lure them into enacting a Carpenters' comeback concert on their special day - even if that takes certain hypnosis or witchcraft! Believe me, I'm capable of doing "necessary" things when it comes to wedding songs!)

The bride walks down the aisle of a tiny chapel holding a bouquet of Casablanca lilies in her hands:

Why do birds suddenly appear
Every time you are near?
Just like me
They long to be close to you

Why do stars fall down from the sky
Every time you walk by?
Just like me
They long to be close to you

On the day that you were born
The angels got together
And decided to create a dream come true
So they sprinkled moondust
In your hair of gold*
And starlight in your eyes of blue*

(They Long To Be (Close To You))

* subject to be customized according to the bride's recent hair/wig color and natural/contact lensed eyes.


The "I do" part or the vow reading:

Love, look at the two of us
Strangers in many ways
We've got a lifetime to share
So much to say
And as we go from day to day
I'll feel you close to me
But time alone will tell
Let's take a lifetime to say
I knew you well
For only time will tell us so
And love may grow for all we know

(For All We Know)

Note: The background song for this part can also be any Carpenters' song, even the broken-hearted number or any cheerful repertoire reminding the couple of any special memories they have shared, from making up after each fight to stealing their first kiss.

The just-been-pronounced husband and wife walk down the aisle out of the tiny chapel:

We've tried our hand at love before
We've been around the game enough
To know the score
But then is then
And now is now
All now is all that matters anyhow


Make believe it's your first time
Leave your sadness behind
Make believe it's your first time
And I'll make believe it's mine

The door is closed
It's you and me
We'll take our time with love
The way it oughta be
This moment's ours
Tonight's the night
And if we fall in love
Well, that's alright

So close your eyes
And hold me close
And let our hearts pretend
That love is ours to share tonight
And it might never end

(Make Believe It's Your First Time)

Note: It could also be Carpenters' most renowned hit like Top Of The World, but since its beat rather belongs to medium tempo, then it's not a good idea, especially for the white dressed bride with a long tail, to walk with. As much as people love watching Funniest Home Video, I don't think they really want to see a falling bride in real life.

The bride and groom's first dance together:

We've only just begun
To live white lace and promises
A kiss for luck and we're on our way
Before the rising sun we fly
So many roads to choose
We start out walking and learn to run
And yes we've only just begun
Sharing horizons that are new to us
Watching the signs along the way
Talking it over just the two of us
Working together day to day
Together
And when the evening comes we smile
So much life ahead
We'll find a place where there's room to grow
And yes we just begun

(We've Only Just Begun)

The dance is then followed by families and other guests:

After long enough for being alone
Everyone must face their share of loneliness
In my own time nobody knew
The pain I was going through
Waiting was all my heart could do

Hope was all I had until you came
Maybe you can see how much you mean to me
You were the dawn breaking the night
The promise of morning light
Filling the world surrounding me

When I hold you baby, baby, baby
Feels like maybe things will be alright
Baby, baby, your loves may be free as a song singing forever

Only yesterday I was sad and I was lonely
You show me the way to leave the past
And all the tears behind me
Tomorrow may be even brighter than today
Since I threw my sadness away
Only yesterday

I've found my home here in your arms
Nowhere else on earth I'd really rather be
Life waits for us to share it with me
The best is about to be
So much is left for us to see

(Only Yesterday)

Note: Not to worry, I Won't Last A Day Without You will also be included somewhere in the wedding. Most probably as background when the just-married couple deliver their speech. When the song is played by the band, I might as well pretend to be busy checking out the catering staff. Bark at those evidently enchanted by the song and the movie-lines alike speech that causing them stop pouring champagne, if I may.

It doesn't help. Even Carpenters' songs can't lessen the bad taste weddings left in my mouth. Attending weddings is like watching a very bad play having a bad script.

(Written upon seeing pictures taken at a screwed up wedding of a so-called friend)

3 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Lorena said...

well seems like you'll make a good wedding planner :)

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

In Utopia or perfect world where everybody hates Rob Thomas' new looks, yes, maybe I'm THAT into weddings that I would waste my breath planning them meticulously. That's just my alter ego speaking!:)

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger marianne said...

and all this time i thought i was the one who only had carpenters' songs in my very-future-if-not-light-years-distant wedding.
ah! i heart you, chik!!

"for all we know" and "we've only just begun" broke my heart upon the first listen, when i still wore my green-checkered skirt and knee-high socks. and they still mercilessly do now.

aaaaaahhhhhh. WOULD YOU JUST TAKE A LOOK AT THOSE SONGS' LYRICS??? i could just stab myself over and over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT