channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Everytime I Say Goodbye

"From this day forward, Ms Chikididu is no longer in charge for food and travel columns," announced my superior in a closed meeting.

I didn't know what was going on after that, for I then just blacked out.

I've never been good at goobyes. Be uttering it to people, places, puppies, belongings, or even my columns. I hate myself for having a little too much bonding with things I've ever had a chance to hold them in my hands. Even if it's only a few seconds.

Those 2 columns were my babies. I didn't carry them in my unfruitful womb, but I did raise them like my own. I loved them every single week more than I loved my own life, that I was willing to gain 10 pounds during nurturing them. I crossed seas and climbed mountains just to keep them alive. I spent sleepless nights in faraway lands just to make sure they're happy. Every word I put on them, I crafted with such passion that each time I saw them in print and enjoyed by more than 650,000 readers nationwide, I could just spend hours looking at them with such a glow as if I'd just had marathon sex. And when people told me how beautiful my babies were, I simply cried happy tears and forgot all about the eternal fat dwelling in my ab or severely sore muscles in my entire body.

It broke my heart even more when knowing my babies were given to someone who doesn't even possess sheer enjoyement in writing, if not telling stories.

I just wish I didn't get this "promotion". I want my babies back. It's a cold and lonely place out there.

4 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

Thank you for the condolences, Swas. A good friend has always kept reminding me that the art of losing isn't hard to master. She said she got that from me, which the naked truth is, no matter how many times I've said goodbye, it just never gets easier.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger marianne said...

oh chikididu, congratulations! that cahaya lestari fish soup is to die for, you know, and tis not very far from your office... ;)

i know how it feels. everytime i have to give up puppies to dubious strangers, i feel my already-fractured heart dies a rotten death.

and dearest, my first answer to "if i were a canvas, i'd be painted by", was CHAGALL too!!! but i changed it into clemente because i'm still in love with ethan hawke in great expectations. tee hee. oh, i heart thee! i heart chagall!

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

Jobhopping! That sounds like a good idea. Too bad, I'm just too devoted a person that unless that new job offers me 9 digit salary, I'm not gonna move my ass. Yes, a doormat at heart, indeed!

Marianne darling, looking at Chagall's paintings was like the first time reading Series of Unfortunate Events book. They blew my mind off that I had to pick up my scattered brains. They're so beautiful that I needed to close my eyes for a few seconds to take a mental picture so I can carry each painting in my head.

Reminds you of Tommy Page's "Paintings On My Mind", doesn't it, Marianne?:D

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger holiday_sendiri said...

yaay! did everyone on the table clapped for you and then you smile (restraining your pinch of sadness) at everyone like how they do it in movies??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT