channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Throes Of Pleasure

Rob Thomas is going solo by releasing a new album Something To Be with a hit single Lonely No More. First time watching the video on V-Channel, I was so shocked seeing his brand new Ricky Martinesque music and looks (thank God he doesn't dance in that video - well, okay he does a bit of belly movement, but that's it!) , that my fingers then got an itch to change the channel in reflex. It was like watching The Eye which - according to a friend - is world's best horror movie ever.

Whatever happened to that cool guy singing Smooth with the guitar played by Carlos Santana or that husky voice of Matchbox Twenty vocalist making me tremble each time singing If You're Gone?

Weeks after that, I, as usual, was caught up in horrible traffic jam. The radio was playing Lonely No More. As too busy with the gears, not to mention keeping 2 eyes wide open for crazy drivers and bikers owning 9 lives around, I didn't have more hands to be able to switch the station. So I just let Rob sing to his heart's content.

No sooner than he sang the song furiously as making a clear point that he doesn't want to be lonely, unconsciously I found myself grooving to the music. My head moved to and fro with the melody as if I was listening to my regular standard of cool music.

The next day, at exactly the same time being trapped in the same sickening traffic jam, the same radio station again played Lonely No More. I was still pretty much occupied with the car's clutch, egoistic drivers and homicidal bikers, but I actually had enough hands to turn up the volume. I didn't really know the words of the song, but I couldn't help singing along to the chorus part: 'I don't want to know the lover at my door is just another heartache on my list...' As I did that, my head banged even wildly as if listening to the trash metal of the 80's, while my hands kept drumbeating on the steering wheel. For the first time in a very long long time, I felt like the happiest person alive.

The next day, a Saturday that was, I got my mind made up to cruise typical busy streets just to get the latest Rob's CD. Like any other pursuits, they never come easy. The CD shop was located in one of the busiest shopping malls in town that when I got there, it took me 30 minutes alone to find an adequate space to park my van. And then another 10 minutes to walk to the elevator, 15 minutes to wait for the over-crowded elevator, 15 minutes to walk between crowd after crowd to the store, and another 10 minutes to queue behind people checking out the CD boxes. I crossed my fingers they all didn't look for Rob Thomas' CD.

All that I did for Lonely No More.

I understand that after reading this post, I will lose the friendship of dear Marianne who cringed when she caught me humming the song. And holiday_sendiri, I also understand if you don't want to know me anymore. I've somehow learned that I'm not bound to be Lonely No More.

6 Comments:

At 1:59 AM, Blogger Lorena said...

bikers owning 9 lives...you are too funny!!! :) i have to admit that song has been annoying me lately, they play it way too much. i did like him in Smooth and Matchbox Twenty.

how did you like the cd?

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger marianne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger marianne said...

I, hereby acting as the sole attorney of Miss Marianne, will declare the solid will of my client upon which she no longer wishes to be your dear friend. The very thought of you actually spent precious minutes leading to a full hour, and gave up hard-earned money for the blasted CD resulted in a temporary memory-loss of my client. After coming into full consciousness, my client shortly refuses any whatsoever relation with anyone bearing the name of Chikididu or Madame Butterfly, as such was saved in my client's cell phone.

However, you may offer to lessen the damage done by first, confessing to the indie snob herself, a.k.a. Miss Marianne, that you have committed the most sinful act, and that you acknowledge doing it so without any pressure from outer parties. The mere excuse of hearing the song twice on the radio then making it your favorite song is considered to be an insult to any adult. Surely you had the time to consult your inner voice, Miss Chikididu?

Secondly, Miss Marianne will extend her gracious offer of friendship, on the terms that you will burn the CD and extinguish any harboured feeling for the song. Rob Thomas is undeniably cute, and Miss Marianne will give tolerance for being weak due to his looks, though she would prefer someone with the looks of Jack White herself. Or James Spader, for that matter.

Lastly, I do hope you realize the grieve effects you cause by giving out a space in your heart for the song. And how Miss Marianne always offers her compassionate hands towards those who seek help and refuge in the trashy pop culture. For someone whose teenage anthem was Eternal Love by PJ & Duncan, Miss Marianne will show nothing but remorse and love.

Richard Fish
Attorney and Miss Marianne’s Object of Lust

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

Dear Lorena, I'm not exaggerating about bikers having 9 lives, or maybe more. Come to the city where I live in, and everything coming out from Pandora's box is all there. I don't really listen to Rob Thomas' CD, only that one particular song, so I don't think I can be a reliable judge here.

Now that hopefully brings Ms Marianne a relief. Your comment really made my day, btw, dear Marianne. Tell Mr Fish, I miss his Fishism.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger holiday_sendiri said...

your confession has inspired others, ms chikididu. as the board member of INSCAA (im not so cool afterall, an organization established for those whose guilty pleasure is pop culture or in your case, a ricky martinesque singer, dancer formerly known as dark, mysterious vocalist), i would like to convey my deepest gratitude and confess a guilty pleasure of my own. there was a time when i rummaged aquarius mahakam for the backstreet boys' single: i'll never break your heart. now, do you still want to know me? :P

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Indiaphile said...

You are forgiven, holiday-sendiri.

Backstreet Boys' "I'll never break your heart" isn't as bad as baptizing Westlife's "If I Let You Go" as a must-sing song in each and every Happy Puppy booth I've ever sung in.

White flag, isn't it now?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT