channelling my ever-grotesque rage

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Finally, Most Accurate Reason To Get Married Found

When watching Shall We Dance, I finally came across this most precise explanation why people ever desire to get married (fuck love!), through a dialogue delivered by Mrs. Clark (Susan Sarandon) and a private detective she hires to spy on her husband.

Mrs. Clark : All these promises that we make and we break, why is it do you think that people get married?
Detective : Passion?
Mrs. Clark : No.
Detective: (speechless)
Mrs. Clark : Because we need a witness to our lives. There are a billion people on the planet. I mean, what does anyone’s life really mean? But in a marriage, you’re promising to care about everything – the good things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it. All the time, everyday. You’re saying (to your spouse): “Your life will not go unnoticed, because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed, because I will be your witness.”

I myself find it enormously, fantastically, awfully matter-of-fact!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

TEXT